Yesterday, Network Services met and got their first look at Bibliomation Evergreen 1.4 (our demo/test server). There was a lot of excitement in the air as I was showing Evergreen to them. The members also had some great suggestions as to things that would further improve Evergreen and those suggestions are:
1) Have a button in the patron’s account so that they can request a change of address/phone number which would alert staff to a new address/phone next time the patron was checking out items in the library so that library staff could update the patron’s information accordingly.
2) An option for patrons to “opt-in” to see their check out history which should only be available to the patrons if they decide they want to keep track of the books they read.
3) A way to exempt fines due to library closing for special events.
4) Book-Drop mode. Currently you can set the check in date manually, but a book-drop mode button that would automatically set the date to the library’s last open day of service would really help staff (especially over long weekends or holiday closings)
5) The ability to print receipts via a Function key.
Thanks to everyone who participated and gave excellent ideas and thoughts. This is what open source is all about….sharing ideas to improve the ILS.